Marriages might be made in heaven but the testimony to one—an Instagram-perfect photoshoot—is very much an arena left to mortals. So, if you are someone who is planning a distinct pre-wedding photoshoot, you are going to be left to your own devices. Fortunately, the old and recent celebrity weddings of Bollywood stars, ranging from Katrina Kaif and Vicky Kaushal’s (or #VicKat, as fans deem them) intimate destination wedding to Alia Bhatt and Ranbir Kapoor’s at-home nuptials, have given us major points to take inspiration from.
Table of Contents
How to plan a pre-wedding photoshoot inspired by celebrity weddings
After all, celebrities know a thing or two about getting photographed and since pre-wedding pictures give you ample time and opportunity to experiment without getting rushed, it works wonderfully.
To make things simpler, we take a look at the inside hacks and tips that will ensure you get those dreamy, Instagram-ready pictures from your pre-wedding photoshoot. Scroll right ahead.
List what you need from the pre-wedding pictures
Image credit: Instagram/aliaabhatt
• Pre-wedding pictures are a wonderful way to capture your memories. To make sure that you make the most of it, you need to finalise a vision of what you need from the pictures.
• Themes, location, backdrop for the photos, lighting as well as any special props or accessories you would like to incorporate should be factored in.
• It's also a good idea to research and zero in on any specific poses that are important to you, such as a picture with your pet, think Alia Bhatt’s wedding pictures.
• Above all, the pictures from your pre-wedding photoshoot should reflect your and your partner’s personalities.
Note down themes for the shoot
Image credit: Instagram/alannapanday
• A theme is one of the first things you should finalise for a pre-wedding photoshoot. You can opt from several themes, based on which one fits you the most. For instance, you could pick a romantic theme with soft lighting or if you are into a colourful theme, one with a vibrant setting inclusive of flowers.
• Take cues from Ananya Panday’s cousin, Alanna Panday’s pre-wedding photoshoot for her mehendi, which had a farmer’s market theme centrestage.
• All in all, you can personalise your photoshoot based on any kind of theme that interests you.
Research moods and poses
Image credit: Instagram/kiaraaliaadvani
• Research is key and it only makes things easier for the final day. So, before your shoot, it's a good idea to research different moods and poses that you would like to incorporate into your photos.
• This will help you get a better vision of what you want to achieve, and also give your photographer a relevant mood for the shoot.
• Take cues from Bollywood celebrities’ recent wedding pics on Instagram—like Kiara Advani and Sidharth Malhotra’s sangeet pictures, for instance—to kickstart your research on the vibe of your pictures.
Set a timing depending on the lighting
Image credit: Instagram/aliaabhatt
• It goes without saying that lighting plays a crucial role in creating beautiful images that stand out from the rest, so plan specific timing based on when you can achieve the perfect lighting conditions at your chosen location.
• Natural light gives a glowing look to pictures while stimulated lighting can sometimes prove to be harsh and needs an expert to reign it in.
• An outdoor pre-wedding photoshoot also gives you the opportunity to use the golden hour—the hour before sunset or after sunrise seen in Alia Bhatt and Ranbir Kapoor’s wedding pictures—in your images to create a warm, natural glow.
• For a more moody look, you could opt to shoot during the blue hour—the period of twilight before sunrise or after sunset.
• If you're shooting indoors, remember that you might need additional equipment to get artificial light for your pre-wedding photos, especially if you are not depending fully on natural light.
Finalise a location and backdrop
Image credit: Instagram/katrinakaif
• When deciding on a location, you can opt for a place that is symbolic of something meaningful to both of you, be it your home or the place where you first met.
• The indoor or outdoor location that you zero in on can also be based on how it appears in terms of aesthetics, ranging from naturally scenic to one that has been created using a setup.
• The backdrop can be one that is already present (take cues from Katrina Kaif and Vicky Kaushal’s post-wedding pictures) or get one created using an artificial arrangement.
• The main idea is to use a location or a backdrop that elevates your pictures.
Check if you need props for your photoshoot
Image credit: Instagram/therichachadha
• Before your photoshoot, it's a good idea to consider whether you want to incorporate any props into your photos.
• This could be anything from a bunch of flowers or an antique piece to fluttering pieces of cloth for a dreamy look, as seen in Richa Chadha and Ali Fazal’s pictures from one of their wedding festivities.
• Team up with your photographer to make sure that the execution comes across as you want it to.
Pick an outfit based on preference and photoshoot’s timing
Image credit: Instagram/athiyashetty
• Choosing the right outfit for your pre-wedding photoshoot is essential because it is what you will be looking back at.
• Consider your personal style and preferences, as well as the weather and location of your shoot—summers call for lightweight fabrics to keep you comfortable while in winters you can experiment with layers and heavier fabrics.
• It is also important to keep in mind that the colours of your ensemble are in sync with the background and complement them rather than standing out garishly.
• A smart alternative is to choose timeless outfits that have a classic touch to them, as opposed to relying on fads that are more likely to go out of style after a couple of seasons.
• Take a leaf out of celeb couples like Athiya Shetty and KL Rahul’s pre-wedding festivities, which showed them in pictures tailored to their preference.
Finalise hair and makeup along with accessories
Image credit: Instagram/deepikapadukone
• When it comes to accessories, think about items that will complement your outfit and enhance your overall look; a statement necklace, a pair of heirloom earrings or a brooch are all fair game.
• The idea is to choose accessories that are not only appealing, but also comfortable and practical for your shoot. You can take the help of a hair stylist and a makeup artist to execute your look.
• Feeling stuck? We recommend taking cues from celeb couple Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh’s mehendi pictures from their wedding celebrations in Italy.
Select a pre-wedding photographer who understands your aesthetic
Image credit: Instagram/katrinakaif
• It goes without saying that selecting the right photographer could make a huge difference to your pre-wedding photoshoot in creating stunning, timeless images.
• It’s also important to find someone who understands your vision and is in sync with you in terms of aesthetics, along with ample experience.
• Take the time to research and review the portfolios of potential photographers, schedule a consultation if necessary to get a better sense of their aesthetic and working style.
• A good pre-wedding photographer should not only have technical expertise and creative vision, but also the ability to make you feel comfortable and be able to offer guidance if needed, whilst being open to collaboration, helping you create fun and memorable pictures like Katrina Kaif and Vicky Kaushal’s sangeet pictures.
Have a plan B for your pre-wedding photoshoot
Image credit: Instagram/athiyashetty
• You may have planned your pre-wedding photoshoot to a T, but it’s always better and safer to have a backup plan, should unexpected circumstances come in the way.
• For instance, plans for an outdoor shoot could get ruined due to the rains and you would be left stranded without a location.
• To avoid that, make sure that you are flexible and have a backup location, along with another set of clothing options, accessory alternatives and so on to be prepared in the face of emergencies.
Must-have equipment for pre-wedding photoshoot
Other than your essentials, read your change of outfit, makeup kit, accessories and the rest, here are some must-haves you should carry with yourself on the day of your pre-wedding photoshoot.
Extra memory cards
SanDisk Ultra, 128 GB on Amazon
It’s more than likely that your photographer will be carrying all the essentials needed for the photoshoot, ranging from a variety of lenses to other necessary gear, but to avoid miscommunication, check with them beforehand. Of course, carrying an extra memory card is alway a good idea, should they need some extra storage space for your files.
MRP: Rs 1,800
Sale price: 869
Innisfree Apple Seed Cleaning Tissue
Are you looking to change your makeup after a few shots? In that case, a makeup kit and makeup wipes are bound to come in handy—the latter being an essential you will need anyhow for touch ups and removing any smudging.
Price: Rs 220
Marshal Tech Kit Organiser by Daily Objects
© Daily Objects
Based on how far you are shooting and the timing of your pre-wedding photoshoot, it’s crucial to carry all your tech essentials that you might need, ranging from your chargers to your go-to devices.
MRP: Rs 3,499
Sale price: Rs 1,999
Excited for that dreamy pre-wedding photoshoot? Go on, plan it now.
Social and lead image credit: Instagram/katrinakaif, Instagram/kiaraaliaadvani
Read iDiva for the latest in Bollywood, fashion looks, beauty and lifestyle news.
Disclaimer: Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.in/Amazon.com sites, as applicable at the time of purchase, will apply to the purchase of this product.
What are the best idea for pre wedding photo shoot? ›
- Meet before the pre-wedding photo session.
- Choose the right location.
- Make a shot list.
- Posing is key.
- Suggest activities instead of poses.
- Capture candid moments.
- Use burst mode.
- Give each of them some 'solo' shots.
- Together is a beautiful place to be.
- Happiness is being married to your best friend.
- My mother told me to pick the very best one, and I did :D.
- Thank you for reminding me of what butterflies feel like!
- "I want all of you, forever. ...
- You have worked hard and deserved this promotion.
Pre-Wedding Shoots are also called “Pre-Wedding Clicks” in India and South Asia.What colors are best for pre wedding shoot? ›
A good grey and yellow is a classic color combination that will make your picture timeless. There will never be a time when the classic black and white combo will ever go out of fashion. A good indoor color palette for your pre-wedding photoshoot will create magic with black and white.How to save money on pre wedding shoot? ›
- Ask about price breaks if you're having your wedding in slower months such as November, February or March, or if your wedding falls on a Thursday or Sunday night. ...
- Hire local talent. ...
- Don't skimp on fees or food by eliminating photo assistants. ...
- Ask about discounts based on referrals.
- “You can regret a lot of things but you'll never regret being kind.”
- “Being happy never goes out of style.”
- “A little contour and confidence.”
- “Smile a little more, regret a little less.”
- “Grow through what you go through.”
- “I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.”
- “For you see, each day I love you more. ...
- “I love you, not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. ...
- “Love recognizes no barriers. ...
- “Walking with your hands in mine and mine in yours, that's exactly where I want to be always.” —
- RADIANT. Radiance is all about light glowing from within. ...
- DAZZLING. To be dazzling is to be so bright that it's almost blinding. ...
- BREATHTAKING. ...
- GLAMOROUS. ...
- ELEGANT. ...
- JAW-DROPPING. ...
- STUNNING. ...
- Cropping. ...
- Eliminate Noise. ...
- Brighten It Up. ...
- Optimize Contrast. ...
- Fix Flaws with the Clone Tool. ...
- Dodge and Burn. ...
- Color Vibrancy. ...
- Fix Blurriness with the Sharpness Tool.
- Apply your make-up in natural light.
- Use a primer underneath your makeup.
- Use a full-coverage foundation.
- Avoid makeup with shimmer.
- Do ask for help from a professional if you are unsure how to get the best results.
- Practice your makeup plenty of times before the shoot.
When should you post pre-wedding photos? ›
A pre-wedding shoot, often referred to as an engagement shoot, is a photo shoot that usually takes place three to six months prior to the wedding day. Though pre-wedding shoots have become a necessity for most, a lot of couples have started debating on whether or not they should have one.What happens in pre-wedding? ›
A pre-wedding is a private party that the bride and groom usually do the day before the wedding with the closest guests, the idea is that you stay with an intimate family and friends, or maybe just friends, it depends entirely on the idea that the couple has.What is the difference between pre-wedding and wedding? ›
As the name suggests, the pre-wedding takes place before the wedding, just like an engagement session. But unlike an engagement session, the clients often wear their wedding gown and wedding tuxedo in the photos.What is the best Colour to wear for a photo shoot? ›
When deciding the best colors to wear for professional photos, it's better to play it safe rather than sorry. A professional headshot is not the time to experiment with bold colors or patterns. Using subdued colors, like a simple black, ivory, or neutral color will allow you to look sleek and professional.What color clothes to wear for a photoshoot? ›
Tone down bright colours.
Bright colors attract attention away from the face and may be reflective. Avoid wearing red, bright pink, bright green etc. When choosing lighter colors, stick to pastels, but avoid pink tones. Pale yellow and pale blue work well, especially with jeans or kaki pants.
White stands as the hands down most popular backdrop color. It's clean and free of distractions, and it makes a perfect partner for high key, bright and airy photos. White backdrops work well with whatever colors your subjects might wear and the neutral color can change with lighting.Is $4000 a lot for a wedding photographer? ›
If you don't really care about having more than a couple decent images, you might not want to spend $4000 for a Wedding Photographer. If your Wedding Photos are very important to you, then you would be willing to spend more than $4000 for them.What are the 5 positive quotes? ›
- “Do the best you can. ...
- “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” ―Theodore Roosevelt.
- 'It's never too late to be what you might've been.” ―George Eliot.
- “If you can dream it, you can do it.” ―Walt Disney.
- “Trust yourself that you can do it and get it.” ―Baz Luhrmann.
- 21 Of The World's Most Powerful Quotes, Updated For Today. ...
- “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” ...
- “Everybody is a genius. ...
- “A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” ...
- “He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.”
The tradition is based on an Old English rhyme that dates back to 19th-century Lancashire. It describes the items a bride should have on her wedding day: "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, a sixpence in your shoe."
What are the 3 words in marriage quotes? ›
He repeated a refrain he has often used when meeting with families and married couples, listing the three most important words in a marriage: “Please, thanks and sorry.”What is important for wedding photos to show? ›
It tells the story of your wedding day
Your wedding images help tell the story of your wedding day, from the moment you begin to prepare for the day up to the end of your wedding reception. Having wedding photography allows you to have the entire story of your wedding day documented forever.
What is another word for pretty as a picture?
- Wearing fine gold jewelry.
- Choosing the right colour palette.
- Finding the right dress.
- Wearing the right shoes.
- Men should wear a fitted suit.
- Avoid denim.
- Accessorizing your outfit.
- Don't dress like a bridesmaid.
- Get to know your wedding photographer. This is so important. ...
- Have an engagement/pre-wedding photoshoot. Having an engagement shoot can be really useful too. ...
- Keep your photographer in the loop. ...
- Remember how good you look.
Eyes look best when they are lit well, with beautiful catch lights. Catch lights are the reflection of a light source in the eyes. The size, shape, and brightness of your catch lights depend on the light source you use. Diffused on-camera flash creates a slightly softer, rectangular catch light.How to arrange wedding photos? ›
- Start transferring all the photos into the designated folders. Repeat the same for both original & edited folders.
- Edit all the pictures in the 'edited' folder and carry out a final filtering session. Remove any poorly framed shots or any picture that does not match the aesthetic.
As it turns out, less still is more. “Natural foundations that are not overly matte, give the skin natural luminosity, and are undetected in photos are best,” says Davis. Need something with SPF? Just make sure it's flash-approved (sometimes labeled “HD”) or the sunscreen in it can alter the way your skin tone looks.Should I wear makeup for photoshoot? ›
Therefore, it is very important that you apply more makeup for photoshoots than you would for going out and looking nice in real life. Even if you want a subtle makeup look in your photos, you still need to really exaggerate the makeup you're applying, because it will not show up as strong through the camera.What makeup looks good on camera? ›
Bold Is Better
Even the best selfie cameras tend to take a desaturated version of the real thing. So, when you're doing your makeup, aim for bold color. You don't have to go full glam, but choosing slightly darker shades (preferably in matte formulas) will help you stand out in pics. And don't skip the contour!
What pictures to include in wedding slideshow? ›
- Embarrassing Kid Photos. This one is a must, and we're not talking about cute toddlers in diapers, but truly embarrassing middle school photos that showcase the “transformation era” of both the bride and groom. ...
- Family Members that Got You There. ...
- Engagement Photos. ...
- Candid. ...
While roughly 90% of couples choose to take their photos before the ceremony, there are still some who want to be “traditional” and not let the groom see the bride until she is walking down the aisle.How long should a photo slideshow be? ›
People want to have time to look at the photos. That means 3-4 seconds per image minimum, which translates to only 10 to 15 images per minute! Depending on the setting and reason for your slide show, 2 – 8 minutes are what most people will sit and watch.What is the day before wedding called? ›
What is a rehearsal dinner? The rehearsal dinner is an event tied to the ceremony rehearsal the day before the wedding. Often, gifts from the couple will be presented to the family and bridal parties.What do the bride and groom do the night before the wedding? ›
The tradition of spending the wedding eve apart is when to-be-weds refrain from seeing one another the night before their wedding, often until the ceremony. The superstitious consequences of not abiding include a failed, unlucky, or unhappy marriage.What comes first before wedding? ›
In a traditional wedding ceremony, the processional begins with the bride's mother before the groom, best man, wedding party, flower girl, and ring bearer follow. The bride, who is escorted by her father, is the last to make her way down the aisle.What is the husband called before the wedding? ›
During this period, a couple is said to be fiancés (from the French), betrothed, intended, affianced, engaged to be married, or simply engaged. Future brides and grooms may be called fiancée (feminine) or fiancé (masculine), the betrothed, a wife-to-be or husband-to-be, respectively.What is a pre-wedding photoshoot called? ›
Pre-Wedding Shoots are also called “Pre-Wedding Clicks” in India and South Asia.Is it OK to get married before the wedding? ›
You can get married before your big day and still share vows in the traditional ceremony, but if there are things that you'd love to say to one another when committing your life to each other that you may not want to say in front of a bunch of other people, this is a great option.What to do with wedding photos ideas? ›
- Send photo thank you cards. ...
- Create a wedding puzzle. ...
- Wedding photo box. ...
- Get a wedding album printed for you and your loved ones. ...
- Display your favourites in your home. ...
- Share them with us and get them published. ...
- Playing cards. ...
- Get a collage framed.
What time of day is best to shoot a wedding? ›
The best time to take wedding photos is the 60 minutes before sunset. This is what is referred to in the photography world as the “golden hour”. When the sun is lower in the sky the light is less intense and has a lower color temperature resulting in images that have a warmer tone.Do you wear wedding band for pre wedding shoot? ›
So while getting your pictures clicked, it is important to incorporate any and every wedding and pre-wedding elements that you want. One special thing you should not miss out on is to incorporate your engagement rings or wedding bands in the photoshoot.What time is best for wedding photography? ›
Golden hour is well known as being the optimal time of day to take wedding photos. Golden hour occurs in the first hour after sunrise and the last hour before sunset. These are the times of day where the sun is at its lowest point and features soft, diffused lighting.How much money is enough for a prenup? ›
Prenups can range in cost based on several factors. For most couples, the cost typically ranges from $1,000 up to $10,000 for more complicated situations. While there are templates and information available online, it's wise to use a private attorney to ensure that the agreement is valid and legally binding.What should you not agree to a prenup? ›
A prenup can't include personal preferences. This might include provisions such as who has what chores, where to spend the holidays, whose name to use, details about child-rearing, or what relationship to have with certain relatives. Prenuptial agreements are designed to address financially-based issues.What does a fair prenup look like? ›
What does that mean, exactly? A fair prenup should safeguard and protect both parties, but it should do so respectfully. This requires both parties to put all of their cards on the table and provide full and fair disclosure of their financial circumstances.How can I look beautiful in wedding pictures? ›
“The trick to looking good in your wedding photos is actually quite simple. Stand up tall and keep your shoulders back. Try not to slouch and keep your chin up. It's always a good idea to practice this in front of your mirror before your wedding day.” —Susan Shek, Susan Shek Photography.How many photos should a photographer give for a wedding? ›
Things to Consider
This means that a photographer covering a wedding for a standard 8-hr day should expect to deliver anywhere from 400 to 800 photographs to their clients. About fifty to a hundred pictures should be possible in that period.
- Too Many Accessories. ...
- Strong Patterns. ...
- Colors That Blend In Too Much With the Background. ...
- Logos. ...
- Dressing Too Trendy / A Style You're Not Comfortable With. ...
- Uncoordinated Fashion / Fashion That Matches Too Much. ...
- Too Loose of Clothing. ...
- Too Much Makeup.