VR Team | Feb 6, 2022 | 0 comments
Germany is a great destination if you are thinking of going to Europe. This Schengen country has a mix of modern and historic cities, wine regions, lakes, forests and mountains. There is plenty to explore! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Germany visa in Nigeria, Germany visa appointment booking, processing time at the Germany visa application centre, flight itinerary for Germany visa, hotel bookings for a Germany visa, Schengen travel insurance for a Germany visa application, and Germany visa application process at the visa office in Nigeria.
Image by FelixMittermeier
Germany Schengen Visas
In 2019, German embassies around the world received 2,171,309 German Schengen visa applications and rejected 213,306 (9.8%). The Consulate General of Germany in Lagos received 9,472 applications and rejected 4,570 (48.2%).
Applying for a Germany Schengen Visa from Nigeria
Applications for visas to Germany must be made through the Consulate General of Germany in Lagos – in person.
Visa applications should be handed in at least 15 days ahead of your desired travel time. It is possible to apply for your Schengen visa up to6 months in advance of your journey.
The processing time for short-term visa applications will usually take about 15 days and 5 days for an Airport Transit visa. Student visa applications may take several months and family reunion visasup to 6 months to process.
You should make sure you apply well in advance of your trip, so you have time to get the visa.
Types of Schengen visas offered at the German Consulate in Nigeria
The type of visa you will apply for will depend on why you wish to go to Germany. There are 3 types of visas available:
- Schengen “C” visa (short-stay) – for a holiday or business trip etc for up to 90 days
- National “D” visa (long-stay) – to attend university, work or join a family in Germany etc for over 90 days
- Airport Transit “A” visa– Nigerian citizens do not need an airport transit visa if they are in possession of a valid visa for a Schengen member state
How Can I Apply for a Schengen Visa from the Consulate General of Germany in Lagos, Nigeria
Everything you need to apply for your visa for Germany can be found on the pages of the consulate’s website, so take time to understand what you need to do.
The first thing you will need to do is to complete your application form. Go to the consulate’s website and click on “service” and then “visa”:
Scroll right down the page until you see “Application Procedure”. Click on the link:
On the next page, you can read information on the visa application procedure. Read this before moving on. Scroll down and choose the visa you are applying for:
To complete your application online, click on the link:
You will be directed to the VIDEX system where you can complete your application form:
Make sure you print the following documents:
- Visa application form
- Barcode page
- Additional information form
If you prefer not to use the Videx system, you can complete a manual application form. You can find one to download on the consulate’s website:
Book an appointment
The next step is to book your appointment.
Making appointments with the embassy, consulate or visa application centre is generally free and can be done yourself. However, if you are running short of time or not sure which consulate to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, the visa you are applying for, consulate you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below.
- Go to the consulate’s website and click on “service” and “visa”
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on the link for the free appointment registration
- Read the instructions on the booking system
- Click on “continue”
- Choose the correct category of visa and click on “continue”
- On the next page, click on “continue”
- Enter the text in the CAPTCHA box
- Choose a date and time for your appointment
Prepare your supporting documents
The documents required for your visa application can be found on the consulate’s website, so go through this before you do anything else. There are checklists to help you. Make sure you know what the requirements are for the visa you are applying for because they are different for each type of visa.
You should also prepare photocopies as well as providing the original documents, so don’t forget to do that too!
- Valid passport + copy of its data page – only E–Passports can be accepted, no observations or
- For non–Nigerian nationals residing in Nigeria: copy of Nigerian residence permit
- 1 loosePassport photograph
- Fully filled Schengen visa application form – NO copies
- Prepaid courier envelope to return your passport and documents
- Travel health insurancecovering the whole stay
- Copy of the round trip flight tickets with passenger reservation number
- Confirmed hotel reservationor proof of any other accommodation in Germany
- Original up to date personal bank statements of the last three months as proof of sufficient funds
- Complete and detailed travel itinerary
- Proof of landed property(if applicable)
- Marriage Certificate and/or „affidavit of facts“ plus wedding pictures (if applicable)
- Birth Certificate/s of minor children even if they are not traveling (if applicable)
If you are employed: letter of introduction by employer, leave letter from employer , employment contract and pay slips of the last three months, up to date salary bank statements of the last three months
If you are a freelancer / self–employed: Certificate of Incorporation / Registration of the company in Nigeria & Income Tax Clearance Certificate / Company Income Tax & bank statements of the last three months
For minors: Child’s birth certificate, letter of school confirming current enrolment and sanctioning leave of absence, consent letter signed from both parents & copy of both parent’s passports
- If staying with a private host: original signed invitation letter
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
The visa fees are:
- Schengen Visa is – 80 Euros
- Schengen Visa (children under the age of 6 years) – 0 Euros
- Schengen Visa (minors aged 6-12 years) – 40 Euros
- Long-Term Visa – 75 Euros
- Long-term visa (children under the age of 18 years) – 37.50 Euros
Fees are paid in Nigerian Naira, in cash and only in 500 and 1000 bills. The fee is also non-refundable even if your application is denied.
Attend your visa appointment at the Consulate
On the day of your appointment:
- Arrive early
- Dress smartly
- Take your ID, visa application form and supporting documents
The visa officer will check your application and documents and take your fingerprints and photograph (biometrics).
They may ask you questions to clarify the information you have provided. If this happens, just simply answer the questions honestly.
Typical questions include:
- Have you been to Germany before?
- What are your plans upon arrival in Germany?
- Are you traveling alone?
- What is your job in Nigeria?
Don’t jeopardize your Schengen visa interview at the last minute. Use this comprehensive and thorough visa interview guide to crack the visa interview!
Receive your visa
Once the consulate has made a decision, they will return your passport to your home address via courier.
The decision will be either:
- Approved – your visa will be inside your passport
- Rejected – this would have been for a specific reason
Common rejection reasons include:
- You forgot your supporting documents – all visa applications need a range of supporting documents, so check the consulate’s website before you apply because the requirements are different depending on the visa you are applying for
- You provided false documents – if you do this, it will affect the chances of you getting a visa now and in the future because the consulate will find out, so the best thing is not to do this at all
- Application form is not signed – please remember to sign your application and any other documents that need signing
- Purpose of your trip is not clear – you must provide proof of the purpose of your trip, for example, a tour itinerary
Entry to Germany will be possible for personsfrom Nigeria who have been fully vaccinated against theSARS-Cov-2 coronavirus at least 14 days ago and with one of the vaccines approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) for the purpose of visits and tourism.
To enter Germany, a digital EU COVID certificate or comparable proof of vaccination in digital or paper form in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish must be presented. See the consulate’s website for information that must be included on this certificate.
If you have recovered from infection, a single dose of a vaccine is sufficient. As proof of full vaccination for a recovered person, proof must also be provided that they had the SARS‑CoV‑2 coronavirus before their vaccination. As proof of this illness, apositive PCR test dating back at least 28days and at most six months must be presented.
Further information is available under the following link: BMI
Visas can also still be issued to persons who are not yet fully vaccinated with a recognised vaccine if the intended entry to Germany is absolutely necessary.
Upon entering Germany, travelers aged twelve years or older must hold proof of the following:
- Entry from an area of variant of concern: negative COVID-19 test result. Proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination or proof of recovery from an infection is not sufficient
- Entry from any other Country or area: a negative COVID-19 test result, proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination or proof of recovery from an infection
Contact Details of the Consulate General of Germany in Nigeria
Address: Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, P.O. Box 72800, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria
Business Hours: Monday until Friday 07:00 am – 02:30 pm
Tel: Visa – Telefon – Service – +234 1 277 8329
The consulate will not answer queries about the following:
- emails without an inquiry
- inquiries regarding the processing status of a visa application / an appeal
- questions which can be answered by studying the information on the consulate’s website
- appointment requests (appointments have to be scheduled via the electronic appointment system of the German Consulate in Lagos)
If you wish to contact the consulate for anything else, you can use their contact form
To apply for a Schengen visa for Germany at the Consulate General of Germany in Nigeria, follow these simple steps:
- Complete your application form
- Book your appointment
- Prepare your supporting documents
- Attend your visa appointment at the Consulate
- Receive your visa
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.
Apply for France Schengen Visa From Nigeria
Apply for Spain Schengen Visa From Nigeria
Apply for Italy Schengen Visa From Nigeria
How do I book an appointment for Schengen visa in Germany? ›
Appointments can also be booked by visiting VFS after service fee payments at the bank are completed or by sending the bank payment receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the following documents and information: Passport Copy. Applicant's email address which needs to be used for booking an appointment.What documents do I need for German Schengen visa? ›
- Application form completed in English or German. ...
- Declaration of Accuracy of Information.
- Passport size photographs. ...
- Valid national passport. ...
- Personal bank statements for the last three months.
- Schengen Travel Insurance. ...
- Proof of accommodation.
- Documents Required for a Schengen Visa.
- Schengen Travel Visa Insurance.
- Visa Application Form.
- Photo Requirements.
- Proof of Accommodation.
- Proof of Financial Means.
- Flight Itinerary.
- Visa application form. Fully completed and signed.
- Two recently taken photos must be attached. ...
- A valid passport. ...
- Round trip reservation or itinerary. ...
- Travel insurance policy. ...
- Proof of accommodation. ...
- Proof of financial means. ...
- Proof of paid visa fee.
HOW TO BOOK USA F1 VISA SLOT? STEP BY STEP GUIDE 2022How long does it take to get German visa appointment? ›
The processing time for visa applications (short stay) takes up to 15 days. If long-term residence permits or visa for employment in Germany are applied for, the processing time will be up to several months.How much money do I need to show in my bank account for Schengen visa? ›
Bank statement – this needs to show a minimum balance of €3000 over the last 6 months. If you do not have this amount in your bank, you could show a family member's/guardian's statement instead, with an accompanying letter stating that they are sponsoring your travel and stay.Can I get Schengen visa without bank statement? ›
For those on company travel / spouses / children / dependents who do not have their personal bank statements, he / she sponsoring the trip must submit their original bank statements along with a letter stating the same.How long does it take to get a Schengen visa appointment? ›
The Schengen visa processing time around the world is approximately two weeks. Still, depending on your case, your application may take longer to be processed.Is there any interview for Schengen tourist visa? ›
A Schengen Visa permits a stay or travel to any member states that fall within the Schengen zone. So if you are planning to visit countries like Austria, Denmark, etc., you would probably apply for a Schengen Visa. While doing so, you will have to appear for an interview once the documentation is done.
Which Schengen country is easy to get visa? ›
Lithuania. This country is the easiest one to get a Schengen visa. As per the reports, officials grant visas to almost 98.7% of applicants.Can I get Schengen visa in 3 days? ›
You will have to wait at least 15 days for your Schengen Visa to be processed, though the processing time will depend on your case. In specific cases, embassies can take 30 days to process a visa, and the Schengen Visa processing time could even be as long as 60 days in extraordinary circumstances.How long does it take to get a Schengen visa for Germany? ›
Standard Processing will take around 10 Business Days to complete. Rush processing will complete your application within 8 Business Days. Super Rush processing will complete your application within 6 Business Days.How long does it take to get Schengen visa in Germany? ›
A Schengen visa is a short-stay visa allowing its holder to circulate in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days within a 180-day period. Schengen visas (type C) can only be applied for through our external service provider TLScontact.How do I know my German visa is approved? ›
- Website: Click here for applications lodged on or after 02 November 2019.
- Web chat: Chat Now
- Email: Send an email to email@example.com.
- Helpline Number: +4921173714828.
- Visit the Visa Application Centre to track your application.
Walk In Without Appointment*
VFS Global will process your visa application without a pre-booked appointment.
What it means is that you can re-schedule or change the appointment for 4 times after your initial appointment.Can I reschedule my visa appointment to earlier date? ›
You cannot reschedule your visa interview appointment date earlier than your initial interview appointment date. If you do so, you will not be interviewed. You have been interviewed.How long does it take to get Germany visa in Nigeria? ›
The German Consulate in Nigeria can take up to three months to process your student visa application. However, you have to start the application process much sooner than that, since it can take up to a year to even get a visa appointment.What is the fastest way to get a German visa? ›
Get Your Germany Visa In 4 Simple Steps:
- Visit Application center and fill the form.
- Schedule and attend appointment.
- Make payment.
- Get your Germany Visa in 3 to 4 working days.
How do I get an appointment at the German Embassy? ›
Every German Mission in the U.S. requires that you schedule an appointment via the Online Appointment System for the application of a visa, a passport or identification card. If you would like to apply for both a passport and an identification card, you need to book two appointments, one for each document.Can embassy check your bank account? ›
If you submit a bank statement for a visa purpose, can the embassy counter-check the balance with the bank? Yes they can and they will check the balance.Why bank statement is required for Schengen visa? ›
The main purpose of these documents is to prove that you have enough funds to support all of the expenses during your stay within Europe. They are a key element during your Schengen Visa application process.Is 3 months bank statement enough for Schengen visa? ›
Sponsorship Letter by another person that confirms they will be financially supporting your trip to the Schengen. In order for this letter to be valid, it must be accompanied by a bank statement of the sponsor, no older than three months.Is medical test required for Schengen visa? ›
A letter from a doctor / clinic / hospital in the home country of the visa candidate, that he or she needs medical treatment in the specific Schengen country. Official confirmation of the treatment/appointment by the receiving medical institution (hospital/clinic) in the EU.Can I show my savings account for Schengen visa? ›
The only recognized way to prove your financial sufficiency are recent bank account statements during the last three months. Attention, bank statements must show the name and address of the owner. The embassies cannot accept Travel Money Cards or cash as proof of sufficient funds.Which Schengen visa is fastest processing? ›
iVisa.com has three available Germany Schengen Visa: Processing Time: the standard one takes 10 business days, the rush one lasts about 6 business days, and the super rush, the fastest one, takes only 4 business days to process your application.Can I get Schengen visa in 5 days? ›
You must apply for your India Schengen Visa no more than six months, and no fewer than 15 days, before your trip. It is advised you apply at least three weeks before you leave, however, to allow for any delays in the processing of your application.How do I get an early visa appointment? ›
- Pay the visa application fee.
- Schedule an appointment online for the earliest available date. ...
- If the Embassy approves your request then you will receive an email alerting you to schedule your expedited appointment online.
Which Schengen Visa is the easiest to obtain? The easiest country to get a visa to is Lithuania. Almost 98.7% of short-term visa applications for a Schengen Visa to Lithuania received a positive response in 2018.
Which country rejected visa most? ›
The highest rejection rates were as follows:
- Citizens of Guinea Bissau had a 53% rejection rate.
- Senegalese had a 52.2% rejection rate.
- Nigeria had a 51% rejection rate.
In 2021 the rejection rate of Schengen visa applications worldwide reached its peak, with 13.4 per cent out of the total number of travellers receiving a negative response in their application.How many countries can I visit with Schengen visa? ›
A Schengen visa is a short stay visa allowing its holder to circulate in the Schengen area. The Schengen area covers 26 countries ("Schengen States") without border controls between them.How long after visa interview will I get my visa? ›
If you are found eligible to receive a visa on the day of the interview you should allow approximately 10-15 working days for your application to be processed. Your documents will be returned to you in a large envelope.Can I enter Turkey with Schengen visa? ›
A Schengen visa allows visitors to travel, study, and work and reside in all 26-member states passport-free. In addition to these benefits, Schengen Visa holders can also apply online for other countries, which are non-EU countries such as Turkey.How do I get an appointment at the German Embassy? ›
Every German Mission in the U.S. requires that you schedule an appointment via the Online Appointment System for the application of a visa, a passport or identification card. If you would like to apply for both a passport and an identification card, you need to book two appointments, one for each document.Why are there no appointments for Schengen visa? ›
Because of such a high demand, individuals who have not applied for the visa will not be able to get a slot till mid-September 2022. The executives of the travel industry told that no slots for July and August are available for the 26 Schengen Area countries.How long does it take to get a Schengen visa appointment? ›
The Schengen visa processing time around the world is approximately two weeks. Still, depending on your case, your application may take longer to be processed.How do I get a visa interview for Germany? ›
To schedule a German national visa appointment in New Delhi jurisdiction, contact the VFS on 022 67866013 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also schedule the appointment online through the website of the German Embassy in New Delhi.When should I schedule my visa interview? ›
Applicants for U.S. visas are required to appear in person for an appointment at the Visa Application Center (VAC) and the visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. You must schedule the VAC appointment at least one day before the interview appointment date.
Does Schengen visa require appointment? ›
Book a Schengen visa appointment in order to proceed with your application. Most countries give you the chance to book an appointment online. On the other hand, in others, you will need to book the appointment in person, at the embassy or consulate of your destination country.Can I go to VFS Germany without appointment? ›
VFS Global will process your visa application without a pre-booked appointment.Can I get Schengen visa without interview? ›
Yes, if your documents in order, have travel history, reason of traveling, you can get Schengen Visa without a personal interview.Which EU country gives visa easily? ›
Estonia is the easiest country to get a Schengen Visa from, with only 1.5% of applications rejected in 2020. This means that 98.5% of the Schengen Visa applications for Estonia received a positive answer.Which Schengen visa is the easiest to get? ›
In general, Lithuania is the easiest country to obtain a Schengen Visa from, with officials granting 98.7% of applications. The nation also receives fewer applications than countries such as Germany or France, as they are extremely popular with tourists and business travellers.How long does it take to get a Schengen visa for Germany? ›
Standard Processing will take around 10 Business Days to complete. Rush processing will complete your application within 8 Business Days. Super Rush processing will complete your application within 6 Business Days.Can I get Schengen visa in 5 days? ›
You must apply for your India Schengen Visa no more than six months, and no fewer than 15 days, before your trip. It is advised you apply at least three weeks before you leave, however, to allow for any delays in the processing of your application.How do you know if your Schengen visa is approved? ›
You will receive an email update when your decision has been returned to the Schengen Visa Application Centre. If you can't access email easily, or would like more detailed tracking information, you may also be able to get updates by SMS sent directly to your phone.How can I pass my Schengen visa interview? ›
- Be calm, composed, and articulate.
- Breathe and stay relaxed.
- Give precise and comprehensive answers.
- Answer all questions truthfully to the best of your knowledge.
Who Will Take Care Of Your Business/House/Property When You Are Visiting The Schengen Area? Why Do You Think The University Is Giving You A Scholarship? Why Do You Think We Should Give You Visa To Study In Schengen Area? Why Do You Wish To Study/Work In The Schengen Area And Not In Your Living Country?